Monday 5 December 2011

Thing 5 - Reflective Practice

I have been enjoying looking at these Things - some new, some not, whilst getting frustrated by the limitations of work tech.  Unfortunately it can be painfully slow, which can make a quick 5 minute task last 20 minutes!  I have been fitting my CPD 23 Things into a couple of hours on Monday nights, and have just about successfully managed this. 
Things 1 and 2 - Blogging: I'm still not a huge personal fan of this, although I enjoy reading other blogs.  There is a lot of useful information out there, and I'm trying to learn how to actively filter it so I don't get swamped!
Thing 3 - Considering my personal brand.  This is still ongoing, but at least there aren't any nasty things about me out there.  My twitter name is perhaps a little odd, SiobhanWGLib, but not too bad. 
Thing 4 - RSS feeds, Twitter, Pushnote.  This one has taken me the longest to do, although so far it's the most useful.  I'm still getting the hang of RSS feeds, even though I signed up to Google Reader, as when I select, sometimes it adds it to my browser, and I'm not sure why!  It's really important if you want to follow a number of blogs and webpages though, to prevent information overload. 
I was already on Twitter, and I created a work account, which is very useful, as I am following a number of librarian twitters which post recent news and blogs that I may have missed. 
I am unable to download Pushnote at work, but a colleague (Stephen Gregory!) has advised me that he doesn't think it's that worthwhile.  I will leave that one unless I hear better opinions about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment